What we do
We are the registry for .ie internet domain names and maintain the .ie database. We have been managing the .ie country code Top Level Domain (ccTLD) namespace since 1991. Our work includes protecting, supporting and promoting the online presence of all .ie domain names.
Originating in UCD in 1991, we became a private company in 2000. We have no shareholders and are owned by our members; the directors. Being limited by guarantee is a very common structure for domain registries around the world. Surpluses are not distributed, they are added to opening reserves. Directors, as per our constitution, do not have a beneficial interest in the reserves of the company.
We administer and manage the .ie namespace as a public service. We liaise as required with government departments, governing bodies, trade associations and abide by internet best practice principles while still operating as an independent private company.
Our mission is to provide registry and related services to the Irish local and international internet communities. In cooperation with our Registrars, partners and stakeholders we help shape the development of the internet landscape and ecosystem. We are an important part of the national internet technical infrastructure.
Our vision is that we will be nationally and internationally recognised as an innovative, independent, trusted provider of secure internet services, advocating better e-commerce adoption and stimulating the growth of Ireland’s online communities.
We strive to be fair, equitable and transparent in our dealings with Registrars and stakeholders. We operate with integrity and ethical values while also adhering to strict corporate governance guidelines. In supporting the local internet community we always work with enthusiasm, dedication and pride.
Our strategic priorities are:
- To help shape the development of the internet landscape and ecosystem.
- To advocate for e-commerce enabled website usage and to become a digital advocate for the SME community through active involvement and engagement with stakeholders.
- To deliver on our customer service, technical and other obligations as the active Registry Operator for the .ie namespace in Ireland.
- To continue our ongoing customer experience (CX) innovation and improvement programmes and to develop new customers.
- To achieve company-wide growth by developing the .ie brand in order to achieve annual new growth rates greater than our competitors (.com/new TLDs) with retention rates comparable to similar ccTLDs.